Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

You're Not Getting Older, You're Getting Better, 11x14 Oil


Yesterday I happened to be on the Cape and I dropped in on my friend Joan Brancale.   Of course I had to see what she was painting these days and she is in a very industrious phase right now... my favorite piece being hydrangeas, which are past the 'blue' stage.  I never thought to paint them at this point... never really saw the beauty in them, till I saw Joan's rendition, very Thomas Buechner-esque, hers was subtle drama, and it took my breath away.  So this morning I gathered a couple of stems and attempted to paint them, too.  Always I though I wouldn't paint hydrangeas because of all the petals, but I tried Joan's method of wiping off the blocked in color and just suggesting the petals.  I may try them again.  This weather is unbelievable.   I hope everyone's enjoying it....

4 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

You did a fantastic job with the petals. I love the color harmony here. Nice all around.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Thank you, Mary!

Paula Villanova said...

The petals are nice, and I particularly like the color of the upper background. Would love to see this in person; looks like the brushstrokes also fabbo!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Paula, thanks. I really didn't think about 'petals' as I was painting it, but am thrilled that the brushstrokes made you think of them (particularly as 'fabbo'!).