Pages

Friday, September 28, 2007

Edward Hopper's House, Acrylic, 14x18

On Tuesday, a gorgeous summer-like day, I hit the road with these guys in search of Edward Hopper's house in Truro. We wanted to paint it before the McMansion ("Hey, they paid $16 million dollars for it- they can do what they want!") next door goes up. We don't oppose anyone's freedom to do what they wish, but if you look at this area, it seems the wiser choice would be something more seamless in the pristine landscape. Here is Mary Sheehan Winn (see blog link, right) and Ros Farbush, and Paula Villanova (blog link on my Daily Painting Blog), posing with Hopper's house in the background. The house sits on a HUGE bluff, which drops away to Cape Cod Bay, with gorgeous views from Wellfleet to Provincetown. Being here you can see how his surroundings influenced his art.


This is my piece, which I'm fairly happy with. I may go back in and work on the house a little, but I'm going to let it sit before I decide.


And here is the work of the day from the group. Top right - Ros Farbush, lower right - Paula Villanova, bottom left - me, top right - Mary Sheehan Winn.


And this is Paula Villanova's hand, holding Ros' painting :)

2 comments:

Paula Villanova said...

Hey, you forgot to mention that's my arm holding up Ros' picture! What a fantastic day! It was amazing to see what Hopper saw when he looked out from his studio window and being there gave me a deeper understanding of his work on Cape Cod. Glad we got to do this before the landscape changes.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Duly noted.... and corrected - HOW could I forget that?